6 Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
Where we are?
According to the 2008 MDG report the pre-Revolution authorities registered and reported a very limited number of cases of HIV and AIDS, and policies were adopted to combat HIV upon detection, and medical treatment was provided to those in need. In addition awareness was increased to prevent a spread of the disease.
Challenges that remain are concerning ensuring adequate protection mechanisms to prevent HIV and AIDS transmission through medical procedures, and building programmes against sexually transmitted diseases across different geographical regions.
UNDP´s Work in Libya
In light of the most-recent political change in Libya and the subsequent national (re)prioritizing by the newly elected Government of Libya, as well as the mentioned validity concerns of previous MDG data and indicators, UNDP is reviewing and re-aligning its MDG-related programming. As a result, revised targets will be published in this section of the website.
The 8 Millennium Development Goals
- 1 Eradicate extreme hunger and poverty
- 2 Achieve universal primary education
- 3 Promote gender equality and empower women
- 4 Reduce child mortality
- 5 Improve maternal health
- 6 Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- 7 Ensure environmental sustainability
- 8 Develop a global partnership for development
Targets for MDG6
- Have halted the spread of HIV/AIDS by 2015 and begun to reverse the spread of HIV/AIDS
- HIV prevalence among population aged 15-24 years
- Condom use at last high-risk sex
- Proportion of population aged 15-24 years with comprehensive correct knowledge of HIV/AIDS
- Ratio of school attendance of orphans to school attendance of non-orphans aged 10-14 years
- Have halted by 2015 and begun to reverse the incidence of malaria and other major diseases
- Proportion of population in malaria-risk areas using effective malaria prevention and treatment
- Spread of tuberculosis and related mortality rates
- Proportion of tuberculosis cases detected, treated and still under control