6 Achieve universal primary education
Where we are?
According to the 2008 MDG assessment, the number of students enrolled in primary school was around 1,082,105 in the 2006-2007 school year. Of these around 523,000 were said to be girls, accounting for about 48,4% of all students. The number of boys was around 557,700, representing 51,6 of all students. The enrollment ratio in primary education in 2007 was about 98,2% of the total population in the age group corresponding to the relevant stage of education.
UNDP´s Work in Libya
In light of the most-recent political change in Libya and the subsequent national (re)prioritizing by the newly elected Government of Libya, as well as the mentioned validity concerns of previous MDG data and indicators, UNDP is reviewing and re-aligning its MDG-related programming. As a result, revised targets will be published in this section of the website.
The 8 Millennium Development Goals
- 1 Eradicate extreme hunger and poverty
- 2 Achieve universal primary education
- 3 Promote gender equality and empower women
- 4 Reduce child mortality
- 5 Improve maternal health
- 6 Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- 7 Ensure environmental sustainability
- 8 Develop a global partnership for development
Targets for MDG2
- Ensure that, by 2015, children everywhere, boys and girls alike, will be able to complete a full course of primary schooling
- Net enrolment ratio in primary education
- Proportion of pupils starting grade 1 who reach grade 5
- Literacy rate of 15-24 year-olds