The Millennium Development Goals Eight Goals for 2015
- 1 Eradicate extreme hunger and poverty
- 2 Achieve universal primary education
- 3 Promote gender equality and empower women
- 4 Reduce child mortality
UNDP´s Leadership in achieving the MDGs in Libya
In terms of development, Libya is an upper middle income country7 that was ranked 64th out of 187 countries in the 2011 Human Development Index (HDI). The difference between 2010 HDI ranking and Gross National Income (GNI) ranking is minus 4 indicating that Libya has a deficit in human development: it is richer than it is developed. In 2003, 12% of the population is estimated to have been living below the poverty line of 418 dinars. Libya offers free universal health care and education.
Over the last decades significant progress has been attained in health and education. The 2009 Millennium Development Goals (MDG) Report for Libya stated that the country was well on the way to attaining the MDGs by 2015. However, data underpinning this report may be unreliable and needs to be updated.
The 2006-2009 UNDP country programme, which was extended to 2010, identified the following cooperation areas:
- mainstreaming the Millennium Development Goals;
- addressing socio-economic challenges and encouraging economic diversification;
- fostering human resources for sustainable human development and developing a knowledge society;
- supporting on-going modernization processes for better economic performance;
- and improving service delivery and governance.
In light of the recent political change in Libya and the subsequent national (re)prioritizing by the Government of Libya, as well as the mentioned validity concerns of previous MDG data and indicators, UNDP is reviewing and re-aligning its MDG-related programming.
In the programming for achievement of the MDGs in Libya, UNDP works in close collaboration with the Government of Libya, and other UN entities operating under the UN coordination framework, as well as with various national and international NGOs.
- 07 Jun 2015:UNDP launches Phase II of Civic Engagement Grant Fund: New themes draw greater number of Libyan CSOs
- 23 May 2015:UNDP Libya launches Baseline Study on Women, Peace and Security in Libya
- 19 May 2015:Libyan Civil Society Organizations Mapping launched: Joint Cooperation between UNDP and UNICEF